About Atiu Creek
Atiu Creek Farm was gifted to the Auckland Regional Council by Jackie and Pierre Chatelanat who wanted to ensure that all New Zealanders could enjoy access to the Kaipara Harbour, and that the cultural and heritage values of the area would be protected.
Casual group size limit for Atiu Creek Regional Park is 75
||Open 24 hours
|Summer gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Daylight savings)
|Winter gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Non daylight savings)
|Distance from CBD:
Please note there is no vehicle access beyond the main car park to Solomon's Bay. Please refer to the park map for walking or mountain bike details on distance, direction and time.
How to get to Atiu Creek
Physical Address: Run Road, Tapora
Journey north on State Highway 1 to Wellsford. Turn left at the Caltex station and service centre onto Port Albert Road. Follow the signs to the park. The property lies on the Kaipara Harbour, on the Okahukura (Tapora) Peninsula.
View larger map
Atiu Creek Regional Park has a long history of human occupation extending back at least six centuries. Tangata whenua of this land are subtribal groups of Te Uri o Hau and Ngāti Whatua, in particular the people associated with nearby Oruawharo Marae. Their stories are told in the carvings of the pou kaitiaki that watch over sacred sites and stand guardian over all who visit the park.
The long Māori occupation is also reflected in the numerous archaeological sites present on the property. They include several large pā (fortifications) which defended the resources of the land and the strategically important Opou walking and canoe portage between the north and south Kaipara. Other archaeological sites include occupation terraces, gardening areas, food storage pits and midden (food refuse) sites.
The whole of the Okahukura peninsula came into European ownership in 1877 when purchased by Thomas Fitzgerald. The remaining stands of timber were milled and the property developed into an extensive unfenced grazing run. Kauri gum was dug throughout the area and oyster farming was briefly undertaken in the adjacent Oruawharo River.
In the early 1900s ‘Fitzgerald’s Run’ was named ‘Seaview’. It was purchased by young Swiss/British-born Pierre Chatelanat in 1951. He sold the majority of the block to the government for development as returned soldiers farms and retained the portion that became known as Atiu Creek Farm. An extensive programme of land clearance, fencing, roading, tree planting and building was carried out firstly by Pierre, and then by his farm managers and staff, creating an outstanding model farm. As a result of the The Chatelanat’s generous gift to the people of New Zealand, the property transferred into council ownership in 2006.