For a map of the park, click here.
A pleasant country drive through Waiuku and 33km beyond, leads to peaceful Awhitu on the southwest shores of the Manukau Harbour. Wander freely over parkland pastures, explore the wetlands, enjoy the safe, sandy beaches and sheltered picnic and barbecue areas.
For dog walking (prohibited) information across regional parks, click here.
||Open 24 hours
|Summer gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Daylight savings)
|Winter gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Non daylight savings)
|Distance from CBD:
||Brook Road, Waiuku
|Casual group size:
How to get to Awhitu
Take State Highway 1 south, turn off at Drury and follow the signs to Waiuku. From Waiuku drive up the Awhitu Peninsula through Matakawau. About 2km past Matakawau turn right down Brook Rd into the park.
View larger map
The Ngāti Te Ata and Ngāti Kahukoka people originally occupied the Äwhitu Peninsula. Their descendents still maintain strong links to this land, with marae located in and around Waiuku.
The large waka Toki-a-Tāpiri, which now rests at the Auckland Museum, came from this area.
Evidence from middens on the park indicates Māori used the local area extensively for fishing and resource gathering.
English immigrants John and Sarah Brook built the Brook Homestead, originally called Brook Haven, in 1878. It remains a central feature of the park. The family added the bach in front of the homestead in 1907.
The old jetty, which remains at Kauritūtahi Bay, was also built by the Brook family. It was a lifeline to the outside world when this far-flung place had no roads. Basic supplies and visitors came in across these boards and kauri posts and farm products went out.
In 1971, John Brook’s grandson Fred sold his land to the Auckland Regional Council (ARC). Āwhitu Regional Park was officially opened in 1975 and continues to operate as a working farm.
To mark the park’s 25th anniversary, a carving (pouwhenua) depicting the fern bird (mātātā) was erected overlooking the wetlands in November 2000. It was carved from a Kauri planted by the Brook family.