Duder park is located on the pohutukawa-fringed Whakakaiwhara Peninsula, which cuts out into the Tamaki Strait. Visitors may feel like they are on their own island as they enjoy the 360 degree views extending to the Brookby/Maraetai hills, the Hunua Ranges and Hauraki Gulf islands.
Casual group size limit for Duder Regional Park is 75
||Open 24 hours
|Summer gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Daylight savings)
|Winter gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Non daylight savings)
|Distance from CBD:
How to get to Duder
Physical Address: 933R North Road, Clevedon
Take State Highway 1 south and turn off at Te Irirangi Drive and veer left. At the fourth set of traffic lights turn right into Ormiston Road and head towards Whitford. At the T-junction turn left into Whitford and right at the roundabout onto Whitford - Maraetai Road. Continue through Maraetai and take Maraetai Coast Road to Umupuia. The park is just to the south of Umupuia on North Road.
View larger map
Click here for a leaflet that contains background information about the area, a map of walking route and historic points of interest.
In the 14th century, this was the first place in the Waitemata Harbour to be visited by the Tainui canoe. Its crew went ashore and harvested forest foods, which led to the peninsula’s name – Whaka-kai-whara meaning ‘to eat the bracts of the kiekie vine’.
Some of the descendants of the crew settled in the area and became known as Ngäi Tai. They lived on the peninsula until the 1860s, taking advantage of its abundant food resources (including seasonal shark fishing) and its strategic location near the Wairoa River mouth.
Ngāi Tai’s affiliation to the land is reflected in the many archaeological sites on and near the park. The most significant of these are Whakakaiwhara Pā at the tip of the peninsula and Oue Pā several kilometres to the south.
The kauri forest on the peninsula was logged in the 1850s. In 1866 the Duder family began its association with the area when Thomas Duder, a survivor of the HMS Buffalo wreck (1840), bought the 243-hectare property from Ngāi Tai.
His descendants farmed the property until it was sold to the Auckland Regional Council (ARC) and became a regional park in 1995.