About Long Bay
Long Bay is a busy seaside park, protecting the most northern of the east coast bays and lying adjacent to the Long Bay - Okura Marine Reserve.
Casual group size limit for Long Bay Regional Park is 100
||Open 24 hours
|Summer gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Daylight savings)
|Winter gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Non daylight savings)
|Distance from CBD:
|Public transport information:
A regular bus service operates between Auckland CBD and Long Bay. Buses drop visitors off then park in the bus park in the southern ground.www.maxx.co.nz
On public holiday weekends and fine weekend days access to the park can be difficult. Expect queues of 1km or more back to Torbay shops waiting to get into the park.
There is an automatic opening and closing vehicle access gate operating between 6am and 9pm all year round. This means there is no vehicle entry after automatic gate closing times. Vehicles can exit after automatic gate closing times, by driving up to the gate which will automatically open.
There are signs on the gate with instructions to follow if the gate does not open. The main gate may be closed for pest control weeks and emergencies. Notices will be posted on the Parks Contact Centre Bulletin Board when this occurs.
How to get to Long Bay
Physical Address: 2000 Beach Road, Long Bay
From Auckland, head north on State Highway 1 (northern motorway) and take the Oteha Valley Road off-ramp. Turn right and follow Oteha Valley Road to the traffic lights. Go straight ahead into Carlisle Road and follow the signs through Torbay to Long Bay. The Park access road leads off Beach Road.
View larger map
Māori occupants of Long Bay gave it the name Oneroa, meaning long expanse of sand. Ngäti Kahu was the main tribal group to live here until European settlement began in the 1850s.
The Vaughan family bought 600 hectares at Long Bay in 1862 and farmed sheep on the property during the next 100 years. George Vaughan built the Vaughan Homestead as a farm cottage in 1863. It was extended and altered over the years but the Torbay Historical Society has restored it to its present form.
The Vaughan family ran the current picnic areas as a camping ground until they sold the park to the Auckland Regional Council in 1965.
Among the park’s interesting historic sites is a World War II gun emplacement north of the beach (on the Coastal Walk). This was part of a defence network to protect the Waitemata harbour from Japanese invasion.