Omana Regional Park is situated on a gently contoured knoll from which visitors can enjoy outstanding views of the inner Hauraki Gulf. An ideal family park with a shelly beach offering safe swimming at high tide, shady pohutukawa, walks to farmland and an intriguing pa site.
||Open 24 hours
|Summer gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Daylight savings)
|Winter gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Non daylight savings)
|Distance from CBD:
||Click here to download a park map
||2 Omana Beach Road, Maraetai
|Casual group size:
Dog walking restrictions
Dogs are allowed on a leash in the arrival area, and on the Beachlands to Maraetai walk/cycle way.
Dogs are allowed off leash on the perimeter walk and associated foreshore (excluding Omana Beach).
Dogs are prohibited in all other areas of the park.
Note: Temporary restrictions may apply during seasonal farming operations (lambing and calving) under Clause 10 of Dog Management Bylaw.
Click here for information about which regional parks allow restricted dog walking
How to get to Omana
Turn off State Highway 1 at Highbrook Drive and veer left. Continue into Allens Road and turn left at Te Irirangi Drive. Turn right into Ti Rakau Drive at Botany Town Centre then left into Chapel Road. Turn right at the next roundabout (1.6km) onto Whitford Road.
Travel straight through the next two roundabouts (5.6km). Continue through Whitford roundabout and follow Whitford Maraetai road (10km). The park is on the left just before you enter the township.
View larger map
Ngāi Tai lived here for many generations, and built the Ō-Manawatere pā. The pā is a small rectangular area on the cliff edge with a defensive “ring” ditch around the three inland sides.
Ngāi Tai and members of other Hauraki tribes lived on the park when it was part of William Fairburn’s Maraetai Mission Station which included a small school for Mäori from 1837–1842.
Ōmana was part of the mission farm, developed from 1837. It was one of the region’s first farms. As with the surrounding district, the forest was felled for timber. The area was dug for kauri gum and even prospected for gold and silver. The land continued to be farmed from 1837 until 1970, when the Auckland Regional Council (ARC) purchased it for a regional park.