For a map of the park, click here.
Perched on the north east tip of the Mahurangi Peninsula, Scandrett Regional Park encompasses Mullet Point and includes regenerating coastal forest, rocky headlands that protrude into Kawau Bay, an attractive beach and a precinct of historic farm buildings.
For dog walking (prohibited) information across regional parks, click here.
||Open 24 hours
|Summer gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (Daylight savings)
|Winter gate opening hours:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (Non daylight savings)
|Distance from CBD:
||114 Scandrett Road, Mahurangi East
|Casual group size:
How to get to Scandrett
Take State Highway 1 to Warkworth. Follow the signs to Snells Beach. Approximately 3km beyond Algies Bay turn left into Scandrett Road and follow the road to the end.
View larger map
The Mullet Point area was known to Māori as Purahurawai “the expansive, sparkling waters”. In those days Māori came from throughout the Hauraki Gulf to Kawau Bay (off Mullet Point) to catch and dry sharks for a winter food source.
There are a number of sites of past Māori settlement within Scandrett Regional Park, including two headland pā.
The land was the site of early shipbuilding during the 1850s and 1860s. When George Scandrett arrived from Ireland in 1863, its long farming history began.
The historic Scandrett homestead, built around 1885, differs from many other early farmhouses in that it is made of an early type of concrete instead of the usual kauri timber. The associated farm buildings – a barn, milking shed,
boat shed, calf shed (formerly a hen house), implement shed, dairy and cream sheds are relics of a bygone era when access to the property was by sea. They have been restored and remain a central feature of the park.
The Scandrett family continued to farm the land until it was sold to the Auckland Regional Council (ARC) in 1998.